It’s been a long haul but the good news is that things are opening back up from lockdown in the East Neuk, St Andrews and beyond all the time! This is in line with the phases prescribed by the Scottish Government, which are different from those in other parts of the UK.
Most shops have now re-opened, with social distancing rules in place and sometimes a queue outside. Wearing a facecovering in shops became mandatory in Scotland by law from 10th July 2020.
Here is what we’ve found out about other places which are open – we’ll keep updating this as things change. You will usually need to leave your name and contact details when you book / enter for test and protect purposes. Please remember regular hand washing / sanitising, wearing masks as required and social distancing:
Places to Visit which are now open
- Cambo Estate gardens, shop and cafe, including takeaway (no booking system).
- Kellie Castle gardens (National Trust for Scotland, no booking system – donation box).
- Falkland Palace gardens (National Trust for Scotland).
- Craigtoun Country Park, by St Andrews (including most rides).
- Cairnie Fruit Farm outdoor kids funyard (booking system) and fruit picking (booking system).
- Muddy Boots outdoor kids play and outdoor cafe tables (booking system).
- The St Andrews Aquarium (booking system).
- The St Andrews Botanic Gardens and outdoor cafe but not the glasshouses (no booking system).
- The St Andrews Museum (book online 24 hours ahead or call for a slot on the day).
The Scottish Fisheries Museum reopens 26th August. V&A Dundee reopens 27th August, including the Mary Quant exhibition (booking system). The British Golf Museum and Scottish Deer Centre are TBC.
Eating – places which are now open
Places which are now open for outdoor dining and / or takeaway locally include:
- The Cheesy Toast Shack – Kingsbarns Beach (cash only) and East Sands, St Andrews.
- The Lobster Shack, Crail Harbour – takeaway / sit at picnic table in Crail Harbour to eat.
- The Crail Harbour Gallery – outdoor and indoor seating, takeaway and shop.
- Various chippies in Crail, Anstuther and Pittenweem, the Tailend and Cromars in St Andrews.
- East Pier Smokehouse, St Monans – outdoor seating and takeaway (Wed-Sun 12-3, 5-7.30, tel 01333 405030 or 07432 279815 to book a time slot).
- The Dory Bistro, Pittenweem (seafood) – indoor dining and takeaway.
- The Cocoa Tree Cafe and Chocolate Shop, Pittenweem – indoor and outdoor dining and takeaway.
- The Adamson and Next Door, South Street, St Andrews – indoor dining, outdoor tables and takeaway.
- Little Italy, St Andrews – indoor dining and takeaway.
- Jigger Inn, Old Course hotel – burgers etc – indoor and outdoor dining.
- Various other places in St Andrews for takeaway e.g. Starbucks, Pret, Dominos Pizza, Jahangir Curry House, Chinese and Thai takeaways.
Many restaurants and cafes reopened around 15th July for sitting in. The Cellar in Anstruther (fine-dining) reopened 17th July. The Old Course Hotel reopened 1st August.
Drinking – places which are open
Venues for outdoor drinking locally include:
- The Golf Hotel Crail – beer garden.The Ship Inn Elie – beer garden.
- The Saint, St Andrews, South Street – beer garden (book ahead).
- The Jigger Inn, Old Course Hotel, St Andrews – outdoor terrace beside the golf course.
- The Dunvegan, North Street, St Andrews – outdoor tables.
Many pubs are now open for indoor drinking, with appropriate safety measures.
See also www.welcometofife.com/highlight/open-for-business-in-fife for more information.
If you find anything we should add to this page please let us know!
(First published 4 July, last update 17 August)