Rose Cottage is much loved by our many doggie guests, especially our big garden! As many a dog owner knows, however, not everywhere is quite so dog friendly. Do not panic! The excellent Welcome to Fife information website now has a helpful round up of dog friendly places in Fife to eat and visit – I highly recommend giving it a read.
Here’s a summary of the places listed which are closest to the East Neuk:
- Tentsmuir Forest & the adjoining Kinshaldy Beach – woodland and beach walking bliss with a real wilderness feel to it and you may even see a red squirrel!
- The amazing Fife Coastal Path of course! – see our Top Things to Do page for more details of our favourite parts
- Hill of Tarvit (near Cupar) and Kellie Castle and Gardens (near Anstruther) – both allow dogs to trek in the surrounding woodlands
- Craigtoun Park (near St Andrews) – completely dog friendly country park, except inside the café but there are picnic benches outside to use instead
As the Welcome to Fife blog says, you’d be surprised how many cafes and restaurants allow dogs in. Those listed are by no means all of them. They include:
- Nosebag Café, Cambo Estate – a favourite café of ours, it’s just a stone’s throw from Rose Cottage
- The Inn at Kingsbarns – in this lovely country pub near Rose Cottage “the snug” area and bar are dog friendly, indeed the owners have a lovely dog who can usually be found lounging about
- Byre Theatre, St Andrews – café/bar area is dog friendly
- Cocoa Tree, Pittenweem – enjoy their legendary hot chocolate with your dog in the pleasant courtyard area
- Larachmor Tavern, Pittenweem – friendly pub on the shore in a beautiful village
- Coast Coffee, Anstruther – we love their coffees, toasties and harbour-side location
- The Ship Inn, Elie – enjoy a drink or meal with your dog in the bar area of this beach-side bar extraordinaire in upmarket Elie
- Pillars of Hercules, Falkland – dine with your dog in the outdoor decking area
Two other local eateries not listed in the Welcome to Fife round-up but that we know welcome dogs are:
- The East Neuk Hotel, Crail – dogs are allowed in the bar, food is served there and you may catch some live music too
- The Cottage Kitchen, 5 Logies Lane, St Andrews – advertises itself as dog friendly with dogs allowed in its courtyard garden (a real suntrap in the Summer) and water bowl set out
For lots more places to enjoy on your holiday with your pooch see the Visit St Andrews website, which praises how dog friendly the area is. For an even more up-to-the-minute list, including bars, restaurants, shops and more see the Dog Friendly St Andrews Facebook page.
If you have any more dog friendly places to add to the list I would love to hear them so please get in touch!
Hoping you enjoy happy holidays with your four-legged friend in the East Neuk and St Andrews!